Friday 11 December 2009

Harem Me Out



What a complete feeling of remoteness, with no access to the internet for 5 days. I was reading (a lot more coincidentally) the brilliant article in The Australian Women's Weekly about the navy diver who survived a shark attack in Sydney Harbour on February 11 this year. He explained that it wasn't until he started to swim back to the boat that he realised he'd lost his hand. I'm not usually one for drama, but I've certainly realised how significant the internet has become to my daily life and I apologise for my absence more than you could know. This is my creative outlet and even after the biggest day at work, I feel calm sitting at this keyboard as a wave of words washes over me (sans shark hopefully!).
The brilliance of spontaneity caught a friend and me today as we headed to Mona Vale on a whim in sight of the Lee Matthews sample sale. Her signature cotton and silk garments, with the ease and air of the true northern beaches always excites. However, I kept it pretty simple surprisingly. The lead up to Christmas is always a time of navigation over budgets and desires. I've loved the idea of "Hammer Time" harem pants on others, and as I've been keeping an eye out for a pair of black pants for a few months now, my anticipation as I was trying them on was one of sheer skepticism of how horrible they'd look mixed with a fingers crossed expectation that maybe, just maybe, these would be ok. After a quick glance in the mirror, I was elated to find that they were more than ok, they were flattering. I've admired the style from afar, and now I'll be set to step out this summer in my very own (bargain) pair. Dollars per wear, I could wear them twice and still be in front. You've got to love that.
It's certainly been the season for sample sales, and it's a great time to go along with an open mind. Wait until the Boxing Day sales for the true impulse buys, but if you're going to a sample sale, try and think of something you've been looking for, and if you happen to see the diamond in the rough, it's yours.
Thank you Lee. It's hammer time.

No comments:

Post a Comment