Wednesday 14 July 2010

r e f l e c t i o n o n m y l a n g u a g e


Style goes to show we’re all designers in some form or another. We may not design the garments but the clothes we choose to form an outfit ultimately design how we wish to be perceived, how we wish to appear to those we encounter.
We’re designing our ‘uniforms’. They’re a uniform in that they’re distinct to our personal style and a reflection of us. Someone could say ‘that’s so you’, and the meaning in that case is that you have a particular taste, whether it be clothing, home wares, lifestyle choices and other material possessions. It’s like paining a portrait of yourself, without showing your face. How would they know it’s you?
Style is the image of your character. As Jean Cocteau said “style is a simple way to say complicated things”. After undertaking this exercise, my style is quite classic and somewhat homely I’d have to say. That fits with my character to some degree, but maybe you’d have to ask other people. I do enjoy wearing colour and I’m not afraid of a bright orange or pink, but there’s always a strong element of white, latte and black in my everyday choices. And it’s only human nature to repeat outfits over multiple days, I’m standing by that one.
After speaking with many various people about this experiment I’ve recently completed, it’s amazing how many people have a strong seasonal element to their wardrobe. I find after cataloging my daily outfits that I perhaps don’t have such strong inclinations, my clothes are fairly adaptable to the weather and over the period of three months, they’ve all been in good rotation. It helps that I was able to do a little shopping overseas as documented throughout the process of m i n d i n g m y l a n g u a g e and add some new pieces into my existing mix of well loved clothes, and I’ve become more aware of what shapes fit me too. There’s nothing like a twirl in front of a video camera to acutely increase your awareness of how things look from all angles. The biggest realisation was how I felt, rather than looked though, when it came to finding something to write about my outfit everyday. The word comfortable has perhaps never been used so much in this way, but if I was comfortable in my garments, I was ready to take on the day. It may be a small realisation to some, but crucial in self-perception as an exercise to me.
It’s been said many times before me, but it’s tried and tested. Wear what you feel comfortable in, and that will be true to your style.

No comments:

Post a Comment