Friday 18 September 2009

Food Experiment



There's one thing they do better in South Australia than anywhere else in the country, and that's a pastie. With that inspiration in mind, I decided to take what I had in the fridge and freezer and see what I could come up with as I went along. Tonight, I took a sweet potato peeled and diced, and placed it in boiling water for about 15 - 20 minutes. The boiling water contained vegetable stock and cumin. Then I set the oven to 180C and lined a baking tray. At this stage I also let a piece of frozen puff pastry defrost in the time that the sweet potato was boiling. Once the sweet potato was soft, I strained the water, returned it to the pot and added 1/2 cup of pumpkin kernels and other seeds, and a teaspoon of finely chopped tarragon. I stirred this mixture to combine all the ingredients and placed it in the center of the pastry. After folding the corners of the pastry to cover all the filling, I sprinkled more cumin over the top and pierced it roughly with a fork to let the steam escape. It only took about 25 minutes in the oven and then it was ready to eat. Healthy, hearty dinner is served.

No comments:

Post a Comment