Friday 18 September 2009

Hide and Seek Debate



I'm weighing in to the 'skinny model' debate, and design duo Proenza Schouler clearly didn't read the memo. The more I scrolled through their Spring Summer 2010 collection held in NY yesterday, the more I wondered where the people wearing the garments were disappearing to.
Late last year, the Council of Fashion of Designers of America (CFDA) recently issued voluntary guidelines to curb the use of overly thin models. The guidelines in the 90's were any model 5ft 9 or taller, and between a US size 6 to 8. That's equivalent in Australia of size 10 to 12.
It's not a game of hide and seek, it's Fashion Week and we all, to some extent, care about fashion. Although some may not care about seasonal trends, we all wear clothes and make that dreaded decision in the morning of what to wear that day.
Modeling agencies, designers and magazine editors all have a role to play in this situation, and can make the choice to encourage healthier lifestyle habits for the models they're selecting. In the case of the Proenza Schouler show, I was involuntarily paying more attention to the malnourished and emancipated faces and legs than the clothes they were debuting. Not the reaction that the designers would appreciate, I'm sure.
But this is all in my opinion, I want to hear what you think...

No comments:

Post a Comment