Saturday 10 October 2009

Travel



Ever get the feeling you're living in a great city but but not really living it to it's full potential? I came face to face with that very scenario when I realised I felt like a tourist in my own city. I had a couple of spare hours and it was a rainy Sydney morning. But I was in the city so I wandered down through The Domain into the Royal Botanic Gardens and over to Lady Macquarie's Chair, hadn't been there in years. It's times like that I wished I carried my camera... trusty Moleskine would have to do.
Then I made my way back up to my favourite destination, The Art Gallery of New South Wales. I get to frequent the gallery a little more often, but it's safe to say I hadn't spent quite such a morning by myself since I travelled solo in Europe. The 40 years of Kaldor Public Art was on at the time and it was great. There was a fabulous poem as written down in my Moleskine, here it goes:
'We Are Only Human Sculptors' by Gilbert and George 1970.
we are only human sculptors in that
we get up every day, walking some-
times, reading rarely, eating often,
thinking always, smoking moderately,
enjoying enjoyment, looking, relax-
ing to see, loving nightly, finding
amusement, encouraging life, fighting
boredom, being natural, day dreaming,
traveling along, drawing occasionally,
talking lightly, tea drinking, feeling
tired, dancing sometimes, philoso-
phising a lot, critisising never, whist-
ling tunefully, dying very slowly,
laughing nervously, greeting politely
and waiting till the day breaks.
Take time for yourself and make the time to do what you enjoy doing. It does wonders for your outlook and recharges the batteries like nothing short of a massage. I sat and drew this image, it's exactly how I felt at the time and I couldn't let the moment pass me by. Be a tourist in your own city.

No comments:

Post a Comment