Friday 28 January 2011

Christian Dior Couture





My mum knows me too well. For Christmas, I was spoiled with a copy of Charlotte Smith's 'Dreaming Of Dior' and ever since I read it cover to cover, that's pretty much all I've been able to do. It's a nice escape from work you see.
Now here's the proof in the pudding. John Galliano excels again with the utmost precision. Visioning his woman and setting the scene, his creations physically come to life.
Deep in history and portraying the ultimate fashion fantasy, Galliano has taken Christian Dior Couture to new heights, setting the standard each season.
There's no denying the beauty in his creations and the shape that they ultimately give to women.
I'm refreshing my memory with Naomi Wolf's 'The Beauty Myth' at the moment and there is such a valid argument behind the capitol made by cosmetic companies, the images they portray to women and the social expectations that develop through these unattainable ideals. At Dior, it's clearly all woman but due to the astronomical cost of couture, only bought by few. Creating an elite caste, it's still fresh in the French fashion society. Some things never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment