Saturday 8 January 2011

Sweet Shortcrust Pastry





Hooray. Happy days in the kitchen. I've made good use of my very special Christmas presents and made little tarts. But before I could do anything, I needed to make some sweet shortcrust pastry. So I took my new Delicious More Please recipe book and followed their instructions with a few alterations in place.
1) Combine 1 2/3 cups plain flour with 2 tablespoons icing sugar and a pinch of salt. I didn't have any vanilla pods in the pantry so I didn't use anything else as a substitute and they've turned out fine.
2) Stagger crumbling in chopped 180g chilled butter and crumble with your hands. It should resemble bread crumbs when you're finished.
3) Add an egg yolk and you're good to go. You'll need to wrap it as a ball in glad wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes here. I forgot to add the tablespoon of chilled water and again, didn't affect the mixture at all.
4) Now for the fun part. Take the chilled mixture and unwrap the cling film. Lay the cling film flat and take another layer of cling film, placing it on top of the mixture.
5) Using a rolling pin, roll out into a large circle between the two layers of cling film.
6) Cut into circles to fit your greased tins. Whether you have one large tin or small tins like mine, take the top layer off and turn out onto the top of your tins whilst peeling back the bottom layer of cling film. It should be very easy!
7) I was able to use my new ceramic baking marbles as well here, and place tins into an oven on 165C for about 30 minutes until slightly golden on the edges.
The mixture made 7 cases, however I accidentally broke one. So six it is. Bon Apetit.

No comments:

Post a Comment