Friday 5 March 2010

Dries Van Noten AW10






And so we're handing the reigns over to one of my top two cities, Paris. And what better way to start than with one of my top two designers. Dries Van Noten gave us the most fabulous trousers and coats in menswear inspired fabrics and pinstripes. Who knew giving us a cropped and tailored leg could make us so happy, it just works into the theme so well. It's a shape that's shifted from the harem slouch we've seen so much of in seasons past, what a delight to witness.
That word 'utility' has been thrown around a bit this AW10 show season, and Dries Van Noten is bang on trend here, with chic and easy lines, cotton and felt galore. This collection will fall easily into step with feminine and masculine styles that may alrady be dominating your wardrobe.
He didn't give us a varied and extravagant artists palette, but why should he? He successfully gave us a collection appropriate for winter and the trans-seasons, straying just far enough away from black to obtain maximum impact.
It was so beautiful, I'd wear every single piece of this collection. I know we were taught until we were black and blue in the face at university that no judgment or critique should use the references 'I like it because it's beautiful', but I'm going to. There I said it. Okay, maybe I could justify further. All I'll say is it was the perfect recipe between masculine and feminine, many varied silhouettes were covered, he showed us waists and then gave us box shapes too but it was all in the textures that bound it all together.
Signature Van Noten, signature myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment