Monday 9 November 2009

Beginning | Middle | End


Never judge a book by it's cover. We were all told this as we were growing up, am I right? For me, magazines are a huge influence showcasing all ideas that I find inspiring: fashion, beauty, home wares, art and books. This selection of covers tell a story for me as well. I have a substantial collection to say the least, and many of these titles have travelled with me both literally and metaphorically. Do you collect anything? And what do you think this collection says about you? Here's a little story through some of my most treasured covers:
1) I adore Stella McCartney's designs, season after season she can do no wrong. The models in this Harper's Bazaar Collections cover image are all backstage at McCartney's SS09 show and I picked up this copy in Qantas Club on my way to Port Lincoln South Australia for my Papa's 80th Birthday celebrations.
2) Spending Christmas 2006 in Scotland with my extended family, I was overjoyed to receive this copy of UK VOGUE. It will always remind me of my first Northern Hemisphere Christmas, and to feature such a quintessential British icon on the cover completes the package.
3) Cate Blanchett, there are words used to describe her such as intelligent, beautiful and strong, and this Vogue cover couldn't embody her presence more. The black and soft pink are dynamic and I read this cover to cover over summer in Adelaide in January 2005.
4) noi.se is a locally produced magazine with a very artistic approach and very little advertising. I bought this in my first year studying fashion at UTS and the cover always takes me back to hours sitting at a computer using photoshop.
5) InStyle Australia is not just a magazine to me. I spent a couple of years there whilst studying at university and learnt everything I possibly could from how to produce photo-shoots to sitting in on development meetings, tracking the current issues progress. There's a little snapshot of me in the contents of this issue, what a memento. All that experience was incredibly valuable when creating my own 'PROFILE MAGAZINE'.
6) The colours always catch me on this June 2007 Australian Vogue Cover. Natalia Vodianova always garners attention and this cover is no different. It was the cover that was out when I celebrated my 21st birthday.
7) I rented an apartment in Paris in November and December 2006, and this French copy of Numero to me, is a collectors item. I was by my self in the most beautiful city in the world and an Australian was on the cover of this iconic French publication. I wasn't alone.
8) Jennifer Anniston is a summery kind of woman, and this cover is one of the most stunning shots I've seen of her. The world is obsessed with her personal life, but I love this Harper's Bazaar cover for it's reminder of how much I love summer.
9) Sarah Murdoch is so elegant. The blue theme of the cover of this March 2006 Australian Vogue highlights her beauty and the shoot inside the issue reflects Sydney Harbour in all its glory.
10) March 2004. I'd just finished school and was about to start a Fine Arts degree. I bought this copy of Vogue at Perth Airport after visiting my family because I loved the dirty pinks and theme of the cover. It sustained the 5 hour flight and I still look at it as a reference of the colours that I love.
11) Russh Australia is a magazine that's found its niche and the cover featuring a now very successful Catherine McNeil, reminds me of where she started to the international success she's become.
12) The bravery of Natalia Vodianova is shown here on this June 2009 cover of UK VOGUE. She has three small children and mentions in the interview that she hopes her mother-in-law finds these nude shots tasteful. I think the shots reflect her sophistication perfectly, and I forget that she's nude, now that's talent.
13) I cannot describe the excitement that I felt when purchasing this French VOGUE whilst in Paris in 2006. It is a true memento of the reasons I went there and why I have such a strong appreciation of all things fashion.
14) This November 2005 Vogue cover just might be my favourite. It's simple and all the elements of the silver masthead, the model Daria Werbowy, the dress that she's wearing and the overall mood of the cover translate the significant power a magazine cover must have. It must draw the reader in, first impression is everything, and this one is a standout for it's dynamic balance.
Maybe you agree, maybe you don't care about covers at all, but they all tell a story and they all draw you in one way or another. What a trip down memory lane, spring cleaning anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment