Wednesday 4 November 2009

Skinny Models Debate





It's weigh in time again but don't worry, my name is not Jenny Craig. Hilary Rhoda appeared at the ace awards last night in America, looking like the type of model we could, well, model ourselves on. She has a realistic body shape and size; that's the perfect combination when it comes to picturing yourself in the garments and driving that desire to part with your hard earned cash, the very premise of a model. Rhoda appears in Estee Lauder ads as a spokesmodel for the brand, and it's not hard to see why. Her look is the very opposite of intimidating and we need to see more of the likes of her on the catwalks. Anyone thinking Cindy Crawford when they look at her strong eyebrows and athletic shape?
Filippa Hamilton is the model in the current skinny backlash spotlight after being fired from Ralph Lauren. She has appeared in their campaigns for years and I've always admired her fresh face. Coming under scrutiny for being too large, however, photoshop was put through it's paces to alter and completely distort her already slim frame. With hips narrower than her head, who though this would sell clothes? Who thought anyone on planet earth would aspire to this image? I know it's been splashed through the news but I had to say something too, try and stop me.
These types of images are unnatural and disturbing, I know I'm a tiny fish in a positively ginormous ocean, but ripples make waves and waves get noticed. Back me on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment