Monday 30 November 2009

Me and My Pencils





For they send many running in the other direction, to me they are a challenge, but certainly rewarding. Not for everyone, the pencil skirt is something I have come to cherish. I never used to enjoy the constricting high waist of the skirt of my school uniform, but have learned to embrace my pencils skirts, as they certainly embrace me, and in all the right places too.
There was a moment in the Galleries Lafayette in Paris when my heart literally grew. I had found a black Hussein Chalayan on a sale rack (impossible I know) and the instant I tried it on, it was like magic what it did for my figure. I suddenly had a waist and hips, and because it finished somewhere north of my belly button, made my legs appear longer too. I know people with heavier legs aren't really supposed to wear pencils skirts as something with more fullness balances their silhouette but I've found some styles that are without a doubt true gems.
You've got to love Collette Dinnigan sample sales as well, because she's taken some gorgeous and truley unique fabrics in the past and turned them into optical illusion masterpieces. While the black Chalayan one is safe and like having plastic surgery yet not going anywhere near a scalpel, the red and gold ones make more of a statement thanks to the texture they create. They're great for work because they appear structured and change your posture to a more upright position. But beware, people will be able to tell if you're uncomfortable, so trying many styles on is the key.
Cinderella's story.

No comments:

Post a Comment