Wednesday 26 May 2010

m i n d i n g m y la n g u a g e | day fifty-one


On this exceptionally wet Sydney day, I guess the heels aren't my smartest choice, but it's my birthday and I'll let the sky cry if it wants to. Sadly, my Burberry trench is still at the dry cleaners after serving me so well overseas. It keeps the wind and rain out and would be perfect for today but it's not to be, and there's nothing that could dampen the day.
So what's my fashion language saying about me. I've received a few questions of late as to why this experiment is called m i n d i n g m y l a n g u a g e and it's time we reflect on what has been. As Roland Barthes, a famous postmodern philosopher expressed that we 'read' someone before we meet them based purely on first glance, I thought it would be interesting to take a look at my 'language' and see if it influences how I'm stereotyped or how people might perceive me. It's also been a small study into how I perceive myself, and to see if there are any habits that lead to a self made 'uniform' as an appropriate way to describe the process. It's all a fun experiment and thank you to the avid followers who wait patiently to see what I'll be wearing each day. I hope to maintain the interest and avoid taking it all too seriously, it's only what we wear after all.
Now, let them eat cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment