Sunday 17 January 2010

Dear Sixteen Year Old Me



If we could all participate in this, what would we write? What have we learned in the years gone by, that would help our thought processes? I love this concept from one of the features in marie claire this month. I know it's been a controversial issue, but I'm talking about one of the other articles. The concept is as follows: Ask celebrities of all ages to write to their sixteen year old selves. Elton John even contributes. But to me, the standout is from Emma Thompson aged fifty, to Emma Thompson aged sixteen. Take note:

Dear Em (16),
I realise that you are young and in love and that nothing much anyone old says seems relevant, but seeing as it's me - that is you, that is us - I think its worth a go. Two tips from 50 to 16:
1) Don't EVER EVER EVER bother to go on a diet. I know you're obsessed and have that awful thing of standing in the sixth form canteen trying to choose between a yoghurt and a breath of fresh air (while wanting chips and a cheese salad). Don't sweat it. Eat regularly, try to avoid rubbish and never diet. You'll end up the same size anyway, so drop it girl, and drop it NOW. Believe me - nobody cares. Diets are the best way of confusing your metabolism for the rest of your life. Just be you and get on with it. I cannot tell you how much time and energy you'll save and how much happier you'll be.
2) When he says he doesn't love you, believe him. He doesn't.
That's it. All the other mistakes you make are worth their weight in gold.
I love you - Em (50)

Isn't that brilliant? It's really stuck with me, and hopefully I can pass this wisdom onto you, no matter what gender you are, it's all true.
Another article I read over the weekend is about Tom Ford's new film called A Single Man. Before I begin, let me introduce Tom Ford to you. He is the creative genius behind Women's Ready-to-Wear at both Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent from 1994 to 2004. He completely vamped up women's fashion during his reign and in 2004, it all came screeching to a halt when he had a self described mid life crisis. The article mentions that almost every day, he wakes and asks himself the question, "If I die tomorrow, what am I going to miss?" A Single Man is his first directorial debut, and the last line of this article poetically suggests how he approaches any creative venture, be it design, styling or directing his film. "It just killed me to think that somehow I might die before I could finish." Juxtaposition? He's living life in conflict. Dear Tom (16)...

No comments:

Post a Comment