Friday 8 January 2010

Flourless Walnut Cake






Weekend looming, day trip to Copacabana on the cards, Flourless Walnut Cake the answer. I was flicking through my scrapbook of recipes and thought I'd give this a go, it was a first on many fronts. To begin with, I've never made a cake before that required egg whites to be beaten and then all other ingredients folded delicately through. I was drawn to the fact that it only had 5 ingredients though, thus on paper appearing like a daunting challenge, I remained calm and it all fell into place. I'll have to reveal the all important taste test tomorrow though. Don't mind the cracks, once I sprinkle sifted icing sugar over the top, no one will be able to see them (fingers crossed).
1) Grease a 24cm spring form tin and pre-heat the oven to 170C. During this preparation stage, if you need to ground the walnuts in a food processor this is when you should do it.
2) Separate 5 eggs. Cream the egg yolks and 250g of sugar.
3) Beat in grated zest of 1 lemon and a tablespoon of rum (I substituted with whisky).
4) In a separate bowl (and at this point I switched from the electric mix-master to hand held beaters), beat the egg whites until they form firm peaks that just tip over at the top when the beaters are pulled out.
5) Fold in the yolk mixture, then fold in the ground walnuts.
6) Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and bake for about 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
Dig in, don't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment