Tuesday 6 April 2010

m i n d i n g m y l a n g u a g e | day one


There's a certain point when a child decides to dress themselves, choosing their outfit for the day rather than an adult doing it for them. So every day, many people can find the task daunting rather than a pleasure, or simply just another task on an already over flowing list.
The point is to keep it simple, unless of course it is one's greatest desire to put in an incredible effort for even the most mundane grocery store run or errand.
Today, I decided to wear a plain white shirt dress, that come to think of it, I've never worn as a dress. What did you think of it before you started reading this. Did you judge me just a little? Did you think that you could never wear that? For me, the purpose of this exercise is to understand why you may have thought that. All it is is a shirt dress, singlet top, stretch leggings and ballet flats, nothing fancy or intimidating and no print or colour in sight. It's interesting to note that if I were going to a more formal engagement, I'd wear this with black lace up ankle boots that have a slight heel, that's how I most often wear this outfit. But today it's just flats.
I can't decipher just yet how this exercise will pan out and what findings will come of it, but I hope you enjoy the new format of P R O F I L E and give me feedback to work with as well.
Welcome to my studio, it's serves the purpose well. Henrik Ibsen's 'A Doll's House' comes to mind when I see my towing frame in an Alice in Wonderland like studio, but in Ibsen's commentary of the quest for perfection, we can only define it by what we personally consider perfect. It's a very different definition from every individual and this daily blog is not attempting to attain perfection. Jour de critique un.

No comments:

Post a Comment